How important is physical exercise for weight loss and which type of exercises are best?
This article will explore how physical activity can help you lose weight and the best types of exercises to use on your fitness journey. In my role as a nutritionist and dietician, I will provide scientifically-based insights, tips to get started and suggestions for optimizing your results.
Exercise is Important for Weight Loss
Exercise plays a vital role in weight reduction by causing a deficit of calories, or when you burn more than you eat. It is important to lose weight because it makes your body use stored fat as energy.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say that regular exercise can maintain weight loss. Physical activity for 7 hours or more a week can reduce the risk of weight gain by 40% compared with those who do not exercise.
Physical activity is not only good for weight loss but also has many other health benefits, including improved mood and energy, a reduced risk of chronic disease, as well as an overall better quality of life.
Get Started with Exercise
It's vital to speak with your doctor before beginning any type of exercise, particularly if you suffer from any medical condition. You can determine what type of exercise is safe for you and how intense it should be.
According to the American Heart Association it is recommended that you get 150 minutes per week of aerobic exercise of moderate intensity or 75 minutes per week of aerobic activity of high intensity. Both can be combined. Strength training on at least two days per week will help you lose weight and tone your muscles.
What Exercises are Best for Weight Loss?
- Cardio, or aerobic exercises, is a great way to burn calories and improve cardiovascular health. Running, swimming, cycling and brisk-walking are all examples of aerobic exercises.
- Weightlifting and other strength training can increase your metabolic rate at rest, allowing you to burn more calories even when not working out.
- High-intensity interval training (HIIT), also known as interval training, involves intense bursts followed by short recovery periods. Studies show that HIIT burns a large amount of calories quickly and increases metabolism after a workout.
- Yoga and Pilates are great flexibility exercises that can improve your balance, strength and fitness.
- Exercises that mimic daily tasks can help you perform them with greater ease and avoid injury.
In order to maximize the weight-loss benefits from physical activity, you should incorporate a healthy diet into your plan. Eating whole foods that are nutrient dense can give you the energy to exercise while keeping your calorie intake under control.
Consistency is the key. Regular moderate exercise is better than intense workouts. Find an activity that you like to sustain it as part of your life.
Physical activity is crucial for weight loss because it creates a deficit in calories and offers numerous health benefits. It depends on your preferences and abilities. However, a combination of strength training, aerobics, HIIT and flexibility exercises, as well as functional fitness, can prove to be very effective. Consult a health professional before beginning any type of exercise program. Maintain a healthy diet to achieve optimal results..