What foods can you eat to help with emotional and craving eating?
This article will explore how specific foods can help you overcome emotional eating and cravings, which are two major obstacles on the road to weight loss. In my role as a dietician/nutritionist, I'll provide helpful tips and insights that are based on research and practical strategies.
It is important to manage cravings and emotional eating for weight loss.
People who are trying to lose some weight often struggle with emotional and craving eating. A study in the Journal of Health Psychology found that these factors could significantly hamper weight loss attempts. You're likely to choose low-nutrient, high-calorie foods when you give in to your cravings, are sad or bored, or succumb to stress. Finding ways to curb these urges is crucial for weight loss.
Get Started: Understand the role of specific foods
According to research , incorporating specific foods into your daily diet may help you manage emotional eating and cravings. In a recent study published in Appetite, researchers found that eating foods high in protein could increase fullness and curb cravings while reducing overall caloric intake. Foods high in fibre, such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains, can also slow digestion, which will keep you satisfied for longer.
Foods that can help control emotional eating and cravings
- Lean meats and fish are good sources of protein, as well as eggs, tofu and legumes.
- Foods rich in fiber: Fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes.
- Avocados, almonds, walnuts, seeds and olive oils are all good sources of healthy fats.
- Complex carbohydrates are good for controlling appetite. Foods such as brown rice, sweet potatoes, and quinoa provide energy that is released slowly.
- Fermented foods. Yogurts, kimchis, sauerkrauts, and similar fermented food are well known for their gut-health benefits and can help regulate appetite.
- Green tea is a natural appetite suppressant that can boost metabolism.
- Dark chocolate in moderation can help you satisfy your sweet cravings and avoid overeating.
- Spices such as ginger and cayenne can boost your metabolism and curb hunger.
- Keep hydrated to help you control your cravings.
- Almonds contain a lot of protein and good fats. They are a great snack to control cravings.
Other Tips for Controlling Emotional and Craving Eating
It's important to also pay attention to the way you eat. Eat slowly and mindfully. It can increase your satisfaction with meals, and decrease the chances of you overeating. Physical activity can also help you regulate your hunger and stress, which will reduce emotional eating. Consistency is the key to losing weight, so make sure to stick to these habits over time.
Conclusion: While emotional and craving eating can pose a significant challenge to weight loss, it can be effectively managed by adopting healthier eating practices and incorporating certain foods into your daily diet. You can achieve your weight-loss goals by following these tips and insights..