How important are micronutrients, such as vitamins and minerals, in weight loss?
We are excited to take a deep dive on the topic of micronutrients, and how they can help you lose weight. In my role as a nutritionist and dietician, I am often asked to explain the relationship between vitamins and minerals and weight loss. This article will explore the importance of these nutrients for weight loss, as well as how you can incorporate them in your diet and tips to get their maximum benefits.
What are the micronutrients that can help you lose weight?
Vitamins and minerals are essential micronutrients that play a vital role in maintaining optimal bodily function. They regulate the metabolism, hunger, and fat storage, as well as other factors. Deficits in vitamins and minerals can lead to an increase in weight or may hinder efforts at weight loss. A study in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, for example, found that a deficiency of vitamin D, an essential micronutrient can affect the leptin hormone, which signals to your brain that you are full. It is therefore essential to ensure adequate intake of micronutrients for weight loss.
Get Started with Micronutrients in Your Diet
You should get the majority of your vitamin and mineral intake from whole food sources. Fruits and vegetables, whole grains, meats that are lean, as well as other foods, contain a variety of micronutrients. Citrus fruits, for example, are rich in vitamin C while leafy vegetables are loaded with calcium and iron. If you are unable to get all the nutrients that your body needs from diet, then supplements may be an option. According to the National Institutes of Health, certain people groups may benefit from taking daily multivitamin/mineral supplements.
Solution: Micronutrients and weight loss
- Research has shown that adequate vitamin D levels are linked to weight loss. Vitamin D is found in dairy products fortified with vitamin D, fatty fish and sun-exposed skin.
- They help the body to convert food into fuel. Whole grains, meats and legumes are rich in B vitamins.
- Iron: Iron helps to transport oxygen through the body, boosting energy and muscle strength. It is found in shellfish, spinach, lean meats and beans.
- Calcium helps to regulate the body's fat storage and use. You can find it in leafy greens and almonds.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids - While these fats do not qualify as vitamins or minerals, they are still worth mentioning because they help to regulate weight. You can find them in flaxseeds and walnuts.
While micronutrients can be important, they are only one part of the puzzle when it comes to weight loss. Balanced diets, physical exercise, enough sleep and stress management all play a role. It's also a good idea to speak to a doctor before beginning any new supplement regime to make sure it is safe for you and that it suits your needs.
They are essential for weight loss. These micronutrients regulate vital bodily functions such as metabolism, appetite and fat storage. By ensuring adequate intake, either through a healthy diet or by taking supplements, you can support weight loss. Every step you take towards a healthier life is important, so understanding micronutrients' role in weight loss can be a great help..